Hamilton Chapel Church - history
TBA
             
 

 

 

CHURCH HISTORY

1865-1992

In the year of 1865 , approximately fifty (50) African-Americans were freed from the shackles of slavery.  In spite of their freedom from slavery, they were denied the privilege of openly serving God.

With determination in their hearts and courage in their souls, they would steal away to sing and pray to God for salvation. The group met in the home of Brother Andy Hamilton , in order to organize a church, which was named Hamilton Chapel AME Church. The church was built on Couchville Pike in Gladeville, Tennessee on land donated by the Hamilton family.

Hamilton Chapel AME Church sent delegates to the First Annual Conference held in Tennessee which convened in August of 1867, at St. Paul AME Church in Nashville. The Conference was held under the leadership of the Presiding Bishop J.B. Campbell. The Tennessee Conference comprised the entire state of Tennessee.

Due to the shift of people in the community, the congregation felt that it would be wise to relocate the church closer to a residential area.  The church convened in Vesta Elementary School on Vesta Road in Gladeville.  Thereafter, in 1940, Sister Hattie Mae Clark and family donated land to the congregation where Hamilton Chapel was just previously located. Sis Clark's daughter, Mother Mallie Glenn, is currently one of the senior members of our church and Mother's Board.

In November of 1956, Bishop Joseph Gomex, who had recently been assigned to the 13th Episcopal District by the General Conference, abolished the Central Tennessee Annual Conference. The divisions of the conference were West Nashville, South Nashville, Columbia, and Clarksville Districts.  The presiding elders were the Rev. Frederick Coleman, Rev. William Scruggs, Rev. L.E. Mosley, Rev.  Samuel Davis, and Rev. Jenkins.

Under the leadership of Rev. Robert G. Allen , the congregation constructed and dedicated the Hattie Mae Clark Fellowship Hall   (which currently remains as such). Rev. Allen and the Historical Committee during his pastorate compiled the foretasted information.

Under Rev. Paul Brown's leadership, the front addition was added (which consisted of a bathroom). Under the leadership of Rev. James G. McKissack , many interior changes took place.  Namely, installing a public address system, lowering the ceiling, construction of the chancel rail, carpeting the Pastor's Study, tiling the Fellowship Hall, installing central heating and cooling system, and purchasing choir robes.  Under the leadership of Rev. Rogers Driver , Hamilton Chapel acquired a new piano. Under the leadership of Rev. Willis Orr, Sr. , Bible Study convened every Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. and Hamilton Chapel installed its first telephone. 

The ministers who have served as pastors of Hamilton Chapel are:  Rev. Nelson Glenn, Rev. Z.D. Adams, Rev. Petway London, Rev. C.T. Woodson, Rev E.D. Lewis, Rev. George Bradley, Rev. George Mobely, Rev. J.E. Jones, Rev. Robert G. Allen, Rev. Paul Brown, Rev. James G. McKissack, Rev. Rogers Driver, Rev. Willis Orr, Sr., Rev. Alvin Goss, Sr., and currently, Elder Robert L.Spickard, Sr.

At the end of the AME conference year, which ended the pastorate of Rev. Alvin Goss, on November 30, 1995, the members of Hamilton Chapel decided to withdraw from the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) church organization and take on the assistant at the time: Rev. Robert L. Spickard, Sr. Pastor Spickard served as assistant pastor under both Rev. Orr and Rev. Goss, after accepting his divine call into the ministry in 1992. 

1992-Present

Under the leadership of Elder Robert L. Spickard, Sr. , Hamilton Chapel AME Church has become Hamilton Chapel Methodist Church. We the members of Hamilton Chapel used our faith, patience, and long-suffering, to take on a great day in August of 1996. Excavation was started and the footing was poured on September 11, 1996. The contractor moved on site in October of 1996 and began this new building that we are worshipping in today. The building was completed (complete with a full baptistery) and the congregation marched from the old church site to the new church building on December 15, 1996.

Still under the pastorate of Elder Spickard, many other additions have been made. The Second phase of Hamilton Chapel was added. The second phase was named the Dorothy Ann Elizabeth Majors Education Wing . The expansion included: the expansion of the fellowship hall, addition of classrooms, nursery, library, restrooms, and Pastor Study. A Hammond B-3 organ was purchased. The pulpit area was significantly enlarged.  In addition, HCMC Usher's Board has installed three male ushers during the years. The newest additions to the Usher's Board are Sis. Karen Stewart and Bro. Will Jennings. Pastor has also founded: the New Birth Evangelistic Ministry (which functions to aid the Pastor and congregation in revivals, evangelism, sick-and-shut-in ministry, etc.) and the HCMC Praise Team, which offers Praise and Worship prior to service various Sunday mornings. The HCMC Women's Conference has also been an active part of this ministry over the years. We have also added the Easy Worship projection system ran by Bro. Anthony Covington. The music ministry has grown tremendously and is still expanding by the grace of God.

The nursery ministry has also been in full bloom, complete with Direct TV, a baby-changing station, bible curriculum, and a library of educational books. Sis Melinda Crutchfield is the caretaker of this ministry which aids parents in the care of their children every Sunday morning. The Youth Department is growing and is on the move for Jesus. The Chapel Kids Choir was organized under Elder Spickard's leadership in October of 2008. The Chapel Kids Choir (composed of children of Hamilton Chapel) sings every first Sunday. They are enthusiastic about singing in the choir and doing something fun and positive in God's house. Currently, Elder Spickard has incorporated “ Children's Church ” into Sunday Morning Worship. Under the leadership of Elder Travis Butler, the older youth are taught one-on-one about Jesus and given assignments to do to help them better understand the Word of God. In 2006, The SiBlingS (a group of young men and women who sing for Jesus) were birthed out of this congregation and currently call Hamilton Chapel “home.”

Elder Spickard has been blessed with an abundant association of ministry. For the first time, Hamilton Chapel had three Associate Ministers at one time {The late Elder John H. Shannon, Elder Barry Butler, and Elder Willie Sanders). Elder Spickard has ordained three sons into the Gospel: Elder Barry Butler, Elder Willie Sanders and Elder Travis Butler. He currently has three sons that serve under Him in the Gospel. Functioning under the New Birth Evangelistic Ministry : Elder Barry Butler {Minister of Evangelism}, Minister Charles Covington, and Elder Travis Butler (works with Youth Department). Elder Spickard has installed new Mother's and re-equipped the HCMC Mother's Board. Our Senior Mother is Mother Delia Spickard (95 years young). The Deacon Board is strong and thriving. Our senior Deacon (Deacon Joe W. Spickard, Sr.), who was the pillar of the Deacon's Board, was taken from labor to reward under Pastor's leadership in December of 2008. Our Chairman Deacon is currently Deacon William Redmond. Elder Spickard has led the congregation in tremendous spiritual growth over his fifteen year tenure at this church. He teaches about the election of grace, justification, salvation, and sanctification. He preaches about the Sovereign Grace of Jesus Christ. Under his leadership, he has taught us to that we serve a Sovereign God, Eternal, and still on the throne.